Well it’s only 102 degrees here today, tomorrow, yesterday, for the week. We’re in one of North Carolina’s freak June heat waves that seems to be hitting us every three years. The only positive is that Señor Bebe is sleeping all night. Yes, that means we put him down at 10:30pm and he wakes up in the morning like a human boy. So while he’s napping and I’m watching Double Whammy, here’s the week as I saw it:
Let’s start in comics. I’ve got a new pile sitting next to me, but the first thing I tore into was Secret Invasion. Once again, we have a winner of an episode. At this point I have no clue who to trust.
- Spoilers abound, but check out LOTRKing’s Commentary here.
- I also have to mention Marvel’s new book, 1985. One of the coolest things is that the comic book store guy in the beginning. He’s the guy I buy my comics from. That’s right, Ultimate Comics, my friendly shop is drawn in all of its glory. Go say hi to Jon.
In movies, I have one film to talk about and I know there’s something wrong with me. I think that You Don’t Mess with the Zohan actually looks funny. Maybe I’m insane but the commercials make me laugh. At least it will likely come quickly to HBO (so I know I won’t pay to see it) AND Robert Smigel is one of the writers. However, I’m not the only person to be thinking about it:
The AVClub interviews Robert Smigel and reviews the movie.
- The New York Times reviews it here.
- Also, my Bizarro Jerry, Mr. Cinematically Correct doesn’t seem to hate it.
In music, two things to note. First, I went to see Jacob Dylan live in Raleigh last night. It was a great show and his new album, while quiet is pretty good. It’s hard to beat seeing a musician of his ilk play in front of less than 300 people in a tiny club. Something though from the show bugged the hell out of me. The opening act, a local band named Wrecking Season had an iPod that they used to play in background synth music. What kind of bullshit is that? If you can’t play live without extra production, pack it up.
- As a result I’m considering starting a music only blog to express my displeasure. I’ve even got the name for it: Rockist.
Finally, in links, one of my favorite aggregators of links Electricity & Lust, pointed me to some fantastic stuff this week, including:
- Short Fiction from Nabokovin the most recent New Yorker. I really need to attack my pile of them that dates back to February.
- An author I love interviews a band I like as Tom Perrotta interviews the Hold Steady.
- My music hero Bob Dylan likes Obama. As my father in law would say, it’s best to not know what people you like stand for or what they’re like in their private lives. Needless to say, I’m trying to find reasons to vote for Obama now that Hillary is out of the race (yes I’m one of those Democrats!)
I’m off to watch Cloverfield on Pay-per-View, attack a new (and old) pile of comics, finish up The Corrections, plant some cucumbers, watch the end of Battlestar Galactica Season 1, watch X from the Directv live series, and all the normal stuff for a weekend. Unfortunately I won’t be going to the Mudhoney show this week at the Cat’s Cradle.